Interested in Keeping your Phone Number with Magic Jack?
Porting (or transferring) your existing phone number to your Magic Jack is relatively straightforward. You can do so after you've initially installed and registered your new Magic Jack, using the following procedure:
- Log in to your Magic Jack account, using the User name and password you set up during the initial registration process.
- Click on the “My Subscriptions” tab, and
- Locate the section entitled “Transfer Your Phone Number to MagicJack.”
- Within that section, click on the “Details” button.
- The section will expand; click on the “Transfer My Number” button to initiate the process.
- A new input area will appear, asking you for the phone number you'd like to port. Not all numbers can be transferred, and this process identifies those home phone numbers that can be brought into the Magic Jack system. Insert your phone number, and click ‘Next'.
- Magic Jack may ask you for additional information, such as the name of your current carrier and any account password associated with the account. Note that if your carrier is not listed in the drop down list provided, your number cannot be ported at this time.
- Once you have gotten Magic Jack's acceptance of the new phone number, there is a $10 one-time fee to complete porting your number into Magic Jack.
Note that the porting procedure indicated above is still in beta at Magic Jack, but it seems to have worked well for those who have attempted it. That's all there is to it! It isn't an instantaneous process, as the transfer has to be completed in co-operation with your old home phone service, but Magic Jack will send you updates via email to let you know of the status of the transfer as it works its way through the process.
There is one caveat for porting numbers within Magic Jack. If you're porting a Magic Jack number (from the ‘old style' Magic Jack) to newer Magic Jack Plus, you will have the option of using your existing Magic Jack number or selecting a new number when you register your Magic Jack Plus. Keep in mind that you will lose any time you have remaining for your old Magic Jack subscription.
Note that it is also possible to port your Magic Jack number out of their system to another provider (for a $30 fee). There has been some forum discussion as to whether this fee is legitimate or not. The FCC has indicated “your old company may not refuse to port your number, even if you owe money for an outstanding balance or termination fee” [Emphasis: FCC website]. You need to authorize the process to port your number out to another phone provider, and they will contact Magic Jack and initiate the porting process with Magic Jack.
That's all there is to it! The day has finally arrived when you can port your number to Magic Jack, or move it from Magic Jack to another phone company.
Do you have a question or comment about porting your number to magicJack? Drop a note in the comment box below and put it out there for all to see! You may find the answer you're looking for – or perhaps you'll hear from another sympathetic user.